Saturday, August 14, 2010

back, but maybe not ready yet

I am back from visiting CT. I also visited NYC, somewhere I've never been before. It was quite exciting, and a nice place to visit, though I am not enough of a city girl to think I'd actually like living there. The friend I visited does psychology research, so I got an MRI while doing the stop task, then got to see pictures of my brain. Pretty cool. We toured the main Yale library and the rare book building, and I saw two Gutenberg Bibles and the Audubon book (also awesome). In NYC I saw the statue of Liberty from the Governor's Island ferry,went to Central Park and Times Square (which isn't square and that still bothers me- why didn't they call it Times Plaza or something?), then met up with a friend from high school and had some pizza and hung out. We went to the beach in CT, on Long Island Sound, and it was a different sort of beach from the ones on the Gulf Coast I've been to, but I don't know if that's normal north Atlantic beaches or just from being on the sound. Anyway, it was a fun trip and a nice vacation, since I really haven't had one of those in a while.

Now I'm back on campus and getting really close to finishing my Romans class (the only summer course I have left). I start CPE in a week, though, and still don't know how many classes I can take, so I am a bit anxious about all of that but am going to try to enjoy this last week of relative freedom and lack of responsibility as much as I can. I continue to get my photography skills complimented, which is always nice to hear (maybe I really am talented there..haha).

I think it's possible fall is very close now (the natives might claim this as still summer weather, but where I'm from it definitely resembles fall), so I think shorts wearing days are quickly drawing to a close. I've been told the first frost shouldn't be here for about another month (!) but frost=winter to me, so I think this will just be a really long 'winter'.

Just to leave you with something to think about, I think all we can really know is Descartes' "I think, therefore I am". What I am, I can't know, nor is there really any certainty beyond that simple phrase. That is where faith comes in, on many levels. However, if you don't like thinking all that much, you can pretend this post ended with the previous paragraph.

No comments:

Post a Comment