Tuesday, July 27, 2010

that sure is 'nas'

While eating breakfast this morning, this other guy came in, and then started talking to me. He told me he was from Korea, and asked where I was from. When I told him I was from Texas, he acknowledged that that was far away from Minnesota, too, and then said "Texas is nice. [pause] but they say 'nas' there, don't they?" Apparently, a friend of his had visited Texas, and came back saying 'nas'. It took me half a second to figure out what he meant by 'nas', then I started laughing, but had to admit that, yes, some people in Texas do say 'nas'. Talk about cross cultural education. I think they could probably skip the travel part of that degree requirement and just make all of us from various places sit in one room and talk to each other for a while.

In other news, a group of us went out to a place called Old Chicago for Mary's last night before moving to her new job. I had a good pizza there, and her dad apparently really enjoyed talking to me. The next day (Sunday), I went to a worship service at Rachel's teaching parish, which is a small bilingual (Spanish/English) congregation. They operate on Latino time (and even claim that themselves) so the noon service started around 12:30, but the music was great and the people were nice. I came back, bid Mary and her dad and sister good-bye, and that evening we went to Chatterbox Pub for Rachel's birthday, where you can play games while you eat. We played Apples to Apples, which I actually had never played before, but it was fun. I also had a great root beer float. (they home-make their root beer, but I'm not sure it beats A&W from the tap)

I have finished Hebrew, and might have finished my ethics paper (I submitted it to the prof for either approval or suggestions..), so I am going to hopefully get a little reading of random things done before I go to CT to visit Livvie and start CPE and the fall semester. I should probably enjoy these last couple of weeks of breathing.

No comments:

Post a Comment